Harrisburg International Airport – Guest post by Stephanie Gehman
We recently spoke to the airport’s Marketing Manager, Stephanie Gehman about the airport, which is relatively unknown to our European readers, but offers an interesting alternative to the other airports on the Eastern Seaboard. So, here’s a bit of information from Stephanie:
1. What is your role at Harrisburg, and what experience do you have there?
I am the marketing manager at Harrisburg International Airport (MDT). My job responsibilities include researching, developing, planning and implementing all of the airport’s tradition and emerging communications, including: relationship and community building, branding, marketing, advertising, public relations, website, social media, customer communication and more. Additionally I oversee the development and improvement of the in-terminal experience for airport customers and guests, along with the staff that implements these initiatives and information. I also serve as our staff photographer and videographer. In a nutshell, I am “jill-of-all-trades” and doing my utmost to master and manage all of them!
2. Tell us briefly about Harrisburg as an airport – where is it? who does it serve? what kind of operators do you have?
Harrisburg International Airport is located in Middletown, PA, the reason why our airport code is “MDT.” Our facility serves the business and leisure travelers in the 8 counties surrounding us in South Central Pennsylvania. MDT is served by Air Canada, AirTran Airways, American Eagle, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, and US Airways to 14 great nonstop destinations and to 100s of connections worldwide.
3. What plans for the future does Harrisburg have – expanded facilities? new routes/airlines?
We’re continually in discussion with airlines about market’s potential at Harrisburg, but at this time there are no new service announcements. Our facility was constructed just 7 years ago, so no new expansions are in progress either.
4. You mentioned a Federal Grant on your recent interview with the Airplane Geeks. What will that help you with?
As described on Airplane Geeks the Department of Transportation grant money can be used toward securing a new airline partner or new destination in the nonstop cities served by the airline partners at MDT.
5. Does Harrisburg have any other notable operators, such as FBOs, flight training, cargo, or military?
The airport authority that owns and operates MDT, also owns three general aviation airports in the state of Pennsylvania. At MDT, there is an fixed base operator (FBO), AvFlight, and we’re also the site of the Pennsylvania Air National Guard 193rd. We are served by air cargo carriers: UPS, FedEx and DHL.
6. Lastly, are there any great places to watch aircraft movements at Harrisburg? Are there any rules that spotters must follow if they want to watch aircraft (eg contact security or stay away from a certain area)?
We have a public observation deck located on the third floor of our terminal that is open to the public 24 hours a day. There are many other great locations on the airport campus to aircraft spot as well.